Saturday, November 25, 2006

At Least Now, I Have Hope

So, Cameron says, (Jess your lingo is rubbing off on me). So
Cameron says,.... "at least now, I have hope"..... to chantal on
saturday. It feels great to be telling you all that Cameron will soon be out of the hospital and very much with us.

I can't even begin to explain, Cam fought a lonely battle this week.
From seizures and feeding tube to withdrawals from heavy
medication. Initially Dr's said he was great and would be out
soon, just needed to up the anti-seizure meds and run an MRI test
to make sure there is nothing abnormal in the brain that caused
the seizure. It later turned out to be a much longer stay.

After the seizures subsided he had a damaged throat and went on a
feeding tube. The MRI could not be done becausRe he would not quit
moving. His time there was also prolonged due to a waiting line for using the MRI machine, mostly because of so many patients coming in the ER around that time. An MRI is finally completed on wednesday. Sadly he did not join us on thanksgiving like we had expected. In fact, we hadn't had a conversation with him since he went in, only "yes", "no", a word here and there. And it just looked like he was angry about it all. Too many things to speak of.

Then Sat. Cam calls me after I had dropped mom off at LAX. Naturally I'm surprised, saying, Cam your there! ( excited of course ) . Then I find that Cameron is far from excited, he is confused, and afraid. He says, I have a problem and I need your help. "Oh Yeah", I'm in a
dept store and they have my bed in the middle of the store, and
the hospital is connected to it. They are just sitting over there
and I was at santa paula and they put me here and didn't tell
anyone, i've been here for two weeks without anyone knowing. Keep
in mind, that in previous days cam had been trying to get out,
pull out tubes, kicking nurses, screaming for help to Chantal and
I. etc.... After arriving I found he was visibly disturbed, and
told me to get the nurse, then I find that he has repeated the
story several times, as he began to repeat his story to me again, not realizing he had already told the story many times.

I am glad I sent a call to the family and requested a web
conference meeting. It later prepared me for how to handle him.
I explained to him that he had been taken off heavy meds and that he would be in a halfway state from dream to reality for a while. And that it today was his second day of coming off of them with about 5 days left. After talking it
through a few hours everthing came back and he began to remember most things. He apologized to the nurse for getting out of bed, pulling out tubes, calling her fat
and ugly and kicking her, and other things better left unsaid. He
said he felt like he was in a cartoon and the only way out was to
kick the characters. So he calmed down and later, he fell asleep, then that morning woke up at 1:30am , only to feel exactly how he felt earlier, with no recollection
of what happened. He asked that we not leave him, so both Chantal and I promised him that. Sad to seem him sad, because he never is. So I had to write
a letter, like in an old Adam Sandler movie, of all things, who would
think,

The letter went like this, Hey Cam, this is Curtis, if you have
woke up and are confused with where you are, I can tell you that
you are just now coming of some heavy meds and while you come off
you will be in a halfway state....etc etc.... you began coming out
yesterday at noon and today it is sunday 5am, you are on day two
and you will feel like this for a while, also that you haven't been alone,
mom and Chantal have been here everyone day and me also except one day
...etc. etc........Before leaving that morning at 7am i gave him the note for approval.
he looked at me like i was an imbecile when i showed it to him. and then later sunday night he
thanked me for it.

Anyway, progress went much better after dialysis on monday
thathelped with removing the drug residuals in the blood. This
afternoon he moved out of CCU and onto the 4th floor. He is happy about that and so are we. On Sunday Chantal found him a christmas tree ornament and brought it to him.

And written on the ornament there was a word. --HOPE--


Curtis

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOPE!!!! We all have HOPE for you Cameron!!!! I have HOPE everyday when I check this blog that God has given you a Miracle and you are back to yourself!! I know that will happen one of these days!! Love You!!!
Love,
Amanda :)

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home